Frequently Asked Questions

I have an injury, where do I start?

If you have an injury we suggest you Contact us for an initial physiotherapy assessment. Your physiotherapist will obtain your health history and will perform a complete physical evaluation in order to understand the root cause of your symptoms. Once your injury/condition has been diagnosed, your therapist will formulate a treatment plan for you and advise you on what interventions/services are necessary to achieve optimal speedy recovery.

*NOTE: If this is an emergency call you physician or seek immediate medical attention.

What do I need to bring for my initial assessment?

  • Bring, if obtained, your physician’s or surgeon’s recommendations, notes, or referrals.
  • Bring, if obtained, your diagnostic reports such as; X-rays, Ultrasounds and MRI reports.
  • Bring comfortable clothing according to the area of treatment (such as shorts or tank top).
  • Bring Insurance information if you require assistant with your claims

Do I need to get a referral from my physician before receiving services?

You don’t need to obtain a physician referral to see our physiotherapists, naturopaths, chiropractors, acupuncturists, osteopaths, kinesiologists, or massage therapists.

To have an Orthopaedic surgeon consultation however you will need a referral from your physician – this can be faxed directly to our clinic.

*Note: Some extended health coverage will require you to obtain doctor note for reimbursement reasons only. Please contact your insurance for such requirements.

How many sessions will I need?

This is determined based on your therapist’s initial assessment, which takes into consideration factors such as: The nature and extent of the injury, your age, your daily workload, how acute the injury is, pre-existing conditions, and your pre-injury fitness level. At the end of your assessment your therapist will recommend how many visits will be necessary in order to reach maximum recovery.

How are the clinic's services covered?

Orthopaedic surgery consultations are OHIP COVERED. (Requires physician referral)

All other services are NOT covered by OHIP, however may be funded by the following third party coverage when appropriate:

  • Extended health coverage: Some insurance policies allow direct billing by clinic. Otherwise a receipt will be provided upon payment that can be submitted to your insurance company for reimbursement.
  • Work Place Injuries (WSIB): All claims are processed directly by clinic to WSIB. Once approved WSIB will provide funding to clinic.
  • Motor Vehicle Accident insurance: All claims are processed directly by clinic. Once approved automobile insurance will provide funding for treatment.

I have extended health coverage but I’m not sure if I have coverage for services I need?

3rd party claims (insurance) are patient’s responsibility. At PhysioFlow we understand that insurance claims can be overwhelming at first. For that reason we have taken steps to make your claim more convenient. If it would be of help, our front desk staff can contact your insurance company and find out your policy’s limits and requirements. Also, if your policy allows, we can directly bill your insurance company.

My dentist bills my insurance directly, can you do the same?

In many cases we can bill your insurance company directly. However this depends on your insurance company & your policy with them. We can help you find out if your policy allows for this.

I had a car accident and suffered injuries, can I receive treatment at PhysioFlow for my injuries?

Yes, we offer treatment for Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) patients. PhysioFlow is registered with Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FISCO); the government agency that regulates automobile insurance companies. This allows our facility to request and provide treatment for MVA patients and directly obtain the funding for such services from the automobile insurance company. We understand that auto insurance claims can be very overwhelming for patient’s unfamiliar with the claim process. We have experience with MVA claims and can assist you from start to end. Please contact our clinic and book for an initial assessment or consult for a motor vehicle accident.

I suffered a work place injury (WSIB), can I receive treatment for my injuries at your facility?

Yes, we provide treatment to patient’s that have suffered from workplace injuries. Once you have reported your injury to WSIB, contact us to book an initial assessment. PhysioFlow is registered with WSIB; we can request and provide treatment for your injuries from WSIB. Please bring your claim number, adjudicator’s name and contact number for your initial visit.