Shockwave Or Radial Shockwave Therapy (RSWT) is a non-surgical technique developed for the treatment of chronic injuries of muscles and tendons. Common conditions that can be successfully treated with Shockwave Therapy include:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Heel Spurs
- Patellar tendonosis (Jumper's knee)
- Achilles tendonosis
- Tennis and Golfer's elbow
- Rotator cuff tendonitis including calcifying tendonitis of the shoulder
- Chronic muscular trigger points
How does it work?
Radial Shockwave Therapy works by producing an acute inflammatory response at site of chronic injury. The body responds by increasing metabolic activity around the site of pain, therefore stimulating a healing process. Shockwave therapy also helps break
down scar tissue and calcification.
How many treatments will I need?
Typically 3 treatments sessions are necessary at weekly intervals. There is a possibility that 3 additional treatments may be necessary if your condition is very chronic.
What is the success rate for this kind of treatment?
- Tennis elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)-up to 91%
- Calcifying tendonitis of the shoulder-up to 91%
- Plantar Fasciitis- up to 88%
- Patellar Tendonitis/tendonosis
- (Jumper's knee)- up to 87%
- Achilles Tendonitis/tendonosis- up to 87%
What can I expect from a Shockwave Therapy treatment session?
- An initial assessment must be conducted to determine if Shockwave Therapy is an appropriate treatment option for your condition
- It is for a chronic injury that has persisted more than 3 months.
- It is usually booked as 3 - 6 treatments 1X/ week for 3 - 6 weeks. Then we wait an additional 3 weeks without treatment to allow for healing to take place